About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. I am still living in the area, although I spent 3 years in Germany (Stuttgart). Fighting the age long battle against the bulge. Some days I am winning, some days the bulge is winning. I hang out with my dogs (three toy fox terrierists) and husband.

Monday, February 19, 2007

I don't understand...

....the driving habits of many people in metro Detroit. I drive a section of eastbound I-94 expressway every morning to get to work in Detroit. It's a nice section of road - made especially beautiful because of the Superbowl in 2006 that was held in Detroit - this is the direct section of road that is between the city and the Detroit Metro Aiport (DTW). I don't understand the logic of the speed limits along the road. In the suburbs, the speed limit is 70 - and pretty much everyone goes 70mph, perhaps 75 - but pretty much travels in a pack (just like wolves). But as soon as the speed limit goes down to 55mph in the city, people actually speed up. I'll admit that I don't slow to 55mph - hell, I would be mowed down and eaten alive, but I do go about 65mph.

Is it because there are fewer cops in the city that travel the expressway because they are more concerned with catching murderers and drug dealers?

Is it because there are more donut shops in the city and it's coffee break time?

Is it because they know that they can get away with it?

I'll admit that I drive 10 over the speed limit in the city - and it pisses me off that I get monster sized SUVs and trucks behind me that still think that I am going too slow. Why on earth do you need a Ford F350 for city driving anyway?

Go around me. See if I care.

No comments: